Thursday, February 14, 2008

New Year’s Resolutions—It’s Never Too Late

January has come and gone, and perhaps your New Year’s Resolutions went out with the dried Christmas Tree. At the beginning of the year, many of us heard the familiar buzz about “New Year’s Resolutions” on the radio, television, or even read about nifty ways to set goals in newspaper articles and magazines.

You might find yourself wondering, like I am, exactly what were your New Year’s Resolutions? They must have been noble at the time, but now that you are in the full swing of work, kids in school, homework, basketball season . . . they are but a distant memory.

And if you’re like me, more often than not, your New Year’s Resolutions fizzled before January even came to an end. So what to do? Is it even possible to set goals after the initial buzz has died down? Perhaps it’s time to look at the type of goals we set over the years.

None of mine have been spectacular, or noticeable to anyone else. Most of them have been quite boring, in fact. For example, I’ve set many goals and achieved them, but they have been the “same” goals, year in and year out. Goals that I set and reset often are daily scripture study or exercising three times a week. I think I’ve been setting these goals for twenty years. Although they are great and important goals, they have become my lifestyle—not really necessary to set goals for them anymore. More recent goals include being more patient with my children; or work-oriented ones like writing 1,000 words a day, finishing a manuscript in a certain time-frame, updating my website . . .

Some failed goals that I set each year include: catching up on those scrapbooks, cooking more than one and two course meals, keeping my office organized, cleaning out the bookcases . . . oh well.

It’s not too late to try something new. And not just because it’s still early in 2008, but because I have been stuck in a rut. I’m not looking for exciting, fast-paced, thrilling achievements. Although I’ll take those, too. It would actually be nice to slow down a little, savor more out of life, and enjoy what is right in front of me. Spiritually, physically, and mentally.

Spiritual:
Instead of reaching upward, I want to reach outward. Instead of reading a chapter of the Book of Mormon a day, I want to study everything I can about the prophet Abinadi. Artists depict the prophet Abinadi as an elderly man preaching to the people of King Noah. But what if he was a young man of thirty, with a wife and small children? What do the scholars say about his life? How would it be to know that you are going to be put to death for preaching the word of God, yet you continue to prophesy anyway—leaving behind all your earthly possessions?

Physical:
Instead of stringent exercising three times a week, I want to take my children on more adventures . . . ones that include a little work and perspiration. Not long ago, I purchased The Utah Mama’s Handbook. It has hundreds of suggestions for fun activities, outings, and vacations with your children throughout the state of Utah. I can’t remember the last time that I woke up, threw all other responsibilities aside, and said, “Children, let’s go have some fun.”

Mental:
In the place of focusing on how I can be more patient as a parent, I want to find more things in common with my children—that we can enjoy doing together. My ten-year-old daughter loves to sew, and so do I. But it’s been a long time since I’ve had time to do any sewing. And my thirteen-year-old son is fascinated with history, as I am. Why not make a list of historical sites and local museums, and then take the odd afternoon to visit them? My seven-year old loves to draw and create, and I, too, have enjoyed that in the past when I’ve had “time.” It’s time to sit down with her and discover what a beautiful world we really live in. Finally, my three-year old is obsessed with horses, though I know little about them. It would be fun to find a place where she can ride them and I might learn something too!

Trying something new might take a little more conscious effort. Reaching outward instead of making lists and compiling stats will definitely be a change. But it will be worth it if my belated New Year’s Resolutions turn from achieving a few goals to creating a lot of great memories. How about it? Are you in?

No comments: